Degree in Biochemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, Portugal (1993-1999). Graduation Thesis “Genetics of Familial Ademonate Polyposis” Portuguese Institute of Oncology Francisco Gentil Lisbon.
PhD in Biomedical Sciences, speciality in Medical Parasitology (2002-2007). Thesis on “Genetics of artemisinin resistance in malaria using the malaria animal model” Malaria and other Tropical Diseases Centre, Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Lisbon/University of Edinburgh.
1st Post-Doctorate in the project “Genetics of Praziquantel resistance in Schistosoma mansoni” (2007-2009), Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical Lisbon/Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular (IBMC) Universidade do Porto.
Contract as Auxiliary Researcher – Medical Helminthology and Malacology Group, Teaching and Research Unit in Medical Parasitology, Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Lisbon (2009-2013).
Postgraduate degree in International Health and Development at the Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, New University of Lisbon.
Project “Young Talent” Science Without Borders ” Study of drug-resistance to Praziquantel in schistosomiasis mansoni genetics, proteomics and transcriptomics” University of São Paulo and Federal University of São Carlos, Brazil. Since January 2014.
2018-2019 Master in Clinical Trials and Medical Affairs, CESIF.
2020 Researcher INIAV – Instituto Nacional de Investigação Agrária e Veterinária, I. P., Av. da República, Quinta do Marquês (headquarters building), 2780-157 Oeiras
Drug resistance in helminthology
Next Generation Sequencing
- PINTO-ALMEIDA A, MENDES TMF, FERREIRA P, ABECASIS AB, BELO S, ANIBAL FF, ALEGRETTI SM, GALINARO CA, CARRILHO E, AFONSO A (2021) A Comparative Proteomic Analysis of Praziquantel-Susceptible and Praziquantel-Resistant Schistosoma mansoni Reveals Distinct Response Between Male and Female Animals. Front. Trop. Dis, 21 July. https://doi.org/10.3389/fitd.2021.664642
- MENDES T, CARRILHO E, AFONSO A, GALINARO CA, CABRAL FJ, ALEGRETI (2019) Proteomic, metabolic and immunological changes in Biomphalaria glabrata infected with Schistosoma mansoni International Journal for Parasitology 49;13: 1049-1060. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpara.2019.08.001 (Citações 2)
- PINTO-ALMEIDA A, MENDES T, FERREIRA P, BELO, S, DE FREITAS ANIBAL, F, ALLEGRETTI S, Carrilho E, AFONSO A. (2018) Comparative Proteomics Reveals Characteristic Proteins on Praziquantel-resistance in Schistosoma mansoni. bioRxiv https://doi.org/10.1101/314724 (Citações 5)
- FEITOSA KA, ZAIA MG, RODRIGUES V, CASTRO CA, CORREIA RO, PINTO FG, ROSSI KNZP, AVÓ, AFONSO A, ANIBAL FF. (2018) Menthol and Menthone Associated with Acetylsalicylic Acid and Their Relation to the Hepatic Fibrosis in Schistosoma mansoni Infected Mice. Front Pharmacol 18;8:1000. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2017.01000. eCollection 2017. (Citações 6)
- OLIVEIRA RN, FERREIRA PM, CALADO M, BELO S, AFONSO A, GARCIA VL, OLIVEIRA ASS, JERALDO, VLS, SANTOS KRS, ALLEGRETTI SM. (2018) Sesquiterpenes
effects on DNA of Schistosoma mansoni after in vivo treatment Gene Reports 11, 205–212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genrep.2018.04.001 (Citações 3)