I am a PhD student in Biomedical Sciences from Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical (IHMT-NOVA) since 2020. I have a master’s degree in Medical Microbiology from Universidade Nova de Lisboa (NOVA), concluded in January 2020, and a bachelor’s degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology from Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia (FCT-NOVA), concluded in 2017. My Master’s Dissertation focused on the resistance to biocides and topical antibiotics in Staphylococcus aureus from skin and soft tissue infections and was developed at IHMT-NOVA. I have worked at IHMT-NOVA from January to July 2020 with a 6-month research grant from the R&D project “BIOSAFE: Preventing antimicrobial resistance in the community – the safe use of biocides”, funded by FEDER/FCT.
Main areas of interest:
– Study of antimicrobial resistance mechanisms in Staphylococcus aureus and other clinically relevant staphylococci, focusing on efflux-mediated resistance
– Contribution of mobile genetic elements and virulence factors, particularly biofilm production, to the emergence of antimicrobial resistance in staphylococci
- Ferreira C, Costa SS, Serrano M, Oliveira K, Trigueiro G, Pomba C, Couto I. Clonal Lineages, Antimicrobial Resistance, and PVL Carriage of Staphylococcus aureus Associated to Skin and Soft-Tissue Infections from Ambulatory Patients in Portugal. Antibiotics (Basel). 2021 Mar 24;10(4):345. doi: 10.3390/antibiotics10040345.
- Costa SS, Ferreira C, Ribeiro R, Feßler AT, Schink AK, Kadlec K, Kaspar H, Amaro A, Albuquerque T, Abrantes P, Morais C, Pomba C, Schwarz S, Couto I. Proposal of Epidemiological Cutoff Values for Apramycin 15 μg and Florfenicol 30 μg Disks Applicable to Staphylococcus aureus. Microb Drug Resist. 2021 Nov;27(11):1555-1559. doi: 10.1089/mdr.2020.0402.
- Costa SS, Ribeiro R, Serrano M, Oliveira K, Ferreira C, Leal M, Pomba C, Couto I. Staphylococcus aureus Causing Skin and Soft Tissue Infections in Companion Animals: Antimicrobial Resistance Profiles and Clonal Lineages. Antibiotics. 2022; 11(5):599.