ResearchTop 5 Publications
The scientific activity develops in the areas of Public Health, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention and Health Services Research, in particular on social and behavioural sciences within several diseases – themes related to Health of Vulnerable Populations, HIV/AIDS, Sexual and Reproductive Health, Use of health-care services and Community Intervention for Social and Behavioral Change in contexts of cultural diversity. The cooperation with Portuguese-speaking countries has been done in terms of training of health professionals, master and PhD students as well as the development of research projects in the scientific area of interest.
She has been working (several as principal investigator) in international and national projects (have participated in 27 research and intervention projects). Projects (some examples):
– “SIALON: Capacity building in combining targeted prevention with meaningful HIV surveillance among MSM”. Work Package Coordinator “Evaluation of the project” (Supported by European Commission).
– “HIV and other STIs among migrants’ communities”. Project Coordinator. (Supported by National AIDS Program/ Directorate-General of Health, Ministry of Health).
– “EUROSSUPPORT 6: Developing a training and resource package for improving the sexual and reproductive health of people living with HIV/AIDS”. National Project Coordinator (Supported by European Commission).
– “Attitudes and health and disease’s representations and access to health care in immigrant populations: towards migrant -friendly health services”. Project Coordinator. (Funded by Foundation for Science and Technology).
– “PREVIH: HIV/Aids infection among Men who have Sex with Men and Sex Workers – Prevalence, Determinants and Interventions for Prevention and Access to Health. Project Coordinator. (Supported by National AIDS Coordination, Ministry of Health)
– Coordenadora do projecto “Knowledge, attitudes and practices related to HIV infection and access to health services for immigrant populations”. Project Coordinator. (Funded by the National Coordination for HIV / AIDS Infection – High Commissioner for Health).
– “A Multilevel analysis of the determinants and regional variations of HIV infection in Mozambique: evidence from the INSIDA and considerations for future research” (Supported by The Luso-American Development Foundation).
– EUGATE – Best practice in access, quality and appropriateness of health services for immigrants in Europe (Supported by DG SANCO, European Commission)
AMAC – Assisting Migrants and Communities: Analysis of Social Determinants of Health and Health Inequalities (Supported by DG Health and Consumer Protection, European Commission)
-“Prevention of Sexual and Gender Based-Violence among refugees, asylum seekers and unaccompanied minors in the EU reception & asylum sector” (Supported by European Commission).
- Dias S, Gama A, Pingarilho M, Simões D, Mendão L. Health services use and HIV prevalence among migrant and national female sex workers in Portugal: Are we providing the services needed? AIDS Behav. 2017 Aug;21(8):2316-2321.
- Dias S, Gama A, Fuertes R, Mendão L, Barros H. Risk-taking behaviours and HIV infection among sex workers in Portugal: results from a cross-sectional survey. Sex Transm Infect. 2015 Dec 15;91(5):346–52.
- Dias S, Marques A, Gama A, Martins MO. HIV risky sexual behaviors and HIV infection among immigrants: a cross-sectional study in Lisbon, Portugal. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014 Aug 20;11(8):8552–66.
- Dias S, Gama A. [Community-based participatory research in public health: potentials and challenges]. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2014 Feb;35(2):150–4.
- Dias S, Gama A, Cortes M, de Sousa B. Healthcare-seeking patterns among immigrants in Portugal. Health Soc Care Community. 2011;19(5):514–21.