Marcelo Sousa Silva is Permanent Professor at the Faculty of Pharmacy at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN, Natal, Brazil). He is Permanent Member of the Post-graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Post-graduate Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, both at UFRN-Brazil. He is Research Fellow at CNPq-Brasil, Coordinator of the Post-graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences at UFRN and Coordinator of the Parasitology and Immunology discipline of the Pharmacy graduate course. Marcelo Silva has a PhD in Biotechnology (IST-UTL-Portugal, 2006), MSc in Biotechnology (USP-Brazil, 2001) and Graduation in Pharmaceutical Sciences (UFRN-Brazil, 1999). During his degree, he was a Research Fellowship at the Instituto Butantan (http://www.butantan.gov.br) and at the University of São Paulo (http://www5.usp.br). He developed his Post-doctoral at the Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa – Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain, 2007) and at the Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical – Universidade Nova de Lisboa (IHMT-UNL-Portugal, from 2007 to 2012). His main lines of research are related to immunopathogenesis, evaluation of drugs and vaccines in the context of tropical diseases caused by protozoa (malaria, Chagas disease, leishmaniasis and sleeping sickness).
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0002-1000-0149
Main lines of research are related to:
- Experimental models of infectious diseases
- Evaluation of drugs and vaccines;
- Tropical diseases (malaria, Chagas disease, leishmaniasis and sleeping sickness).
- de Freitas-Oliveira JW, da Silva MFA, Damasceno IZ, Rocha HAO, da Silva Júnior AA, Silva MS. In Vitro Validation of Antiparasitic Activity of PLA-Nanoparticles of Sodium Diethyldithiocarbamate against Trypanosoma cruzi. PHARMACEUTICS, v. 14, p. 497-511, 2022.
- Oliveira, J. W. F. ; Torres, T. M. ; Moreno, C. J. G. ; Amorim-Carmo, B. ; Damasceno, I. Z. ; Soares, A. K. M. C. ; Barbosa, J. S. ; Rocha, H. A. O. ; Silva, M. S. . Insights of antiparasitic activity of sodium diethyldithiocarbamate against different strains of Trypanosoma cruzi. Scientific Reports, v. x, p. 1-15, 2021.
- Queiroz, A. M. V. ; Yanshina, Y. A. ; Rodrigues, E. T. S. ; Santos, F. L. N. ; Celedon, P. A. F. ; Maheshwari, S. ; Gabelli, S. B. ; Rubio, C. S. P. ; Durana, A. ; Guerin, D. M. A. ; Silva, M. S. . Antibodies response induced by recombinant virus-like particles from Triatoma virus and chimeric antigens from Trypanosoma cruzi. VACCINE, v. xxx, p. 1-12, 2021.
- Antunes ML, Seixas J, Ferreira HE, Silva MS. Adequacy of severe malaria markers and prognostic scores in an Intensive Care Unit in Luanda, Angola: A clinical study. Clin. Med., 9: 3862-3874, 2020.
- Domingos J, Casimiro A, Portugal-Calisto D, Varandas L, Nogueira F, Silva MS. Clinical, laboratorial and immunological aspects of severe malaria in children from Guine-Bissau. Acta Trop., 185: 46-51, 2018.