Mafalda Silva Miranda finished her Master’s degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences, from Instituto de Ciências da Saúde Egas Moniz, in 2016. In December 2017, she started her scientific career at the Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
In 2018 she received a scholarship in the context of the PhD programme in Global Public Health from NOVA University and ISPUP-UP. She finished her PhD in November 2022, under the supervision of Dr. Ana Abecasis with a thesis entitled “Dynamics of HIV-1 transmission in Europe: A guidance for evidence-based prevention”.
She continued working at the Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, until today, for the European project “EuCARE: EUROPEAN COHORTS OF PATIENTS AND SCHOOLS TO ADVANCE RESPONSE TO EPIDEMICS. Funded by EUROPEAN UNION’S HORIZON EUROPE REF: N.º 101046016. In this project, she is responsible for laboratory work and for maintaining the project’s social networks and website.
To date, she has published 10 indexed articles in international peer-reviewed journals, 4 as first author and 6 as co-author and got selected to give 3 oral presentations, namely in the European Meeting on HIV & Hepatitis and the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Meeting (ECCMID). She is also involved in several European networks for the study of Antiretroviral Drug Resistance (ESAR – European Society for Antiviral Resistance and EUResist). Furthermore, she has been contributing to several projects on HIV-1, that are being developed in our lab.
Mafalda Miranda’s research interests include Virology, Public and Global health, Data analysis, Molecular Epidemiology, Bioinformatics, Drug Resistance, Virus Transmission, Infectious diseases.
- Miranda MNS, Pingarilho M, Pimentel V, Martins MdRO, Kaiser R, Seguin-Devaux C, Paredes R, Zazzi M, Incardona F and Abecasis AB (2022) Trends of Transmitted and Acquired Drug Resistance in Europe From 1981 to 2019: A Comparison Between the Populations of Late Presenters and Non-late Presenters. Microbiol. 13:846943. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2022.846943
- Miranda MNS, Pingarilho M, Pimentel V, Martins MdRO, Vandamme A-M, Bobkova M, Böhm M, Seguin-Devaux C, Paredes R, Rubio R, Zazzi M, Incardona F, Abecasis A. Determinants of HIV-1 Late Presentation in Patients Followed in Europe. Pathogens. 2021; 10(7):835. https://doi.org/10.3390/pathogens10070835
- Ana Cláudia Miranda*, Mafalda Miranda*, Marta Pingarilho, Victor Pimentel, João Torres, Susana Peres, Teresa Baptista Alberto, Perpetua Gomes, Ana Abecasis, and Kamal Mansinho.AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. Nov 2021; 846-851. http://doi.org/10.1089/aid.2020.0175 (shared first author)
- Pingarilho M, Pimentel V, Miranda MNS, Silva AR, Diniz A, Ascenção BB, Piñeiro C, Koch C, Rodrigues C, Caldas C, Morais C, Faria D, da Silva EG, Teófilo E, Monteiro F, Roxo F, Maltez F, Rodrigues F, Gaião G, Ramos H, Costa I, Germano I, Simões J, Oliveira J, Ferreira J, Poças J, da Cunha JS, Soares J, Henriques J, Mansinho K, Pedro L, Aleixo MJ, Gonçalves MJ, Manata MJ, Mouro M, Serrado M, Caixeiro M, Marques N, Costa O, Pacheco P, Proença P, Rodrigues P, Pinho R, Tavares R, de Abreu RC, Côrte-Real R, Serrão R, Castro RS, Nunes S, Faria T, Baptista T, Martins MRO, Gomes P, Mendão L, Simões D and Abecasis A (2022). HIV-1-Transmitted Drug Resistance and Transmission Clusters in Newly Diagnosed Patients in Portugal Between 2014 and 2019. Front. Microbiol. 13:823208. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2022.823208
- Pimentel, Victor Figueiredo; Pingarilho, Marta; Sole, Giordano; Alves, Daniela; Miranda, Mafalda; Diogo, Isabel; Fernandes, Sandra; Pineda-Pena, Andrea; Martins, M. Rosário O.; Camacho, Ricardo; Gomes, Perpétua; Abecasis, Ana B., on behalf of the Portuguese HIV-1 Resistance Study Group. Differential patterns of post-migration HIV-1 infection acquisition among Portuguese immigrants of different geographical origin, AIDS, 2022, 36:997–1005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0000000000003203