Jorge Ramos has a graduation in Clinical Analysis and Public Health (Escola Superior de Tecnologia da Saúde de Lisboa) and a Master in Medical Microbiology (UNL). He worked as a Clinical Laboratory Technician at Hospital de Santa Maria, in Lisbon, from 1996 to 2006. He is a Senior Technician at Unidade de Microbiologia Médica, Global Health and Tropical Medicine (GHTM), Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (IHMT/UNL), since 2006. He is a specialist in laboratory diagnosis of Mycobacteria. He integrated the research teams of 7 R&D projects, and is co-author of 19 scientific papers in peer-review national and international journals and 28 communications (oral and poster) in congress and other scientific meetings. He participated in several advanced training programs in Mycobacteriology and Master Degree classes and provided technical and scientific support to Master and PhD students.
Ciência ID: 9E11-6132-9E26;
ORCID iD: 0000-0001-6419-5351
Main research interests are antimicrobial resistance in bacteria with the focus on the use of non-antibiotic compounds as therapy adjuvants and the study of new drugs against multidrug resistant Mycobacteria.
Team: Miguel Viveiros, Diana Machado, Jorge Ramos.
- Perdigão, João; Silva, Carla; Diniz, Jaciara; Pereira, Catarina; Machado, Diana; Ramos, Jorge; Silva, Hugo; et al. “Clonal expansion across the seas as seen through CPLP-TB database: A joint effort in cataloguing Mycobacterium tuberculosis genetic diversity in Portuguese-speaking countries”. Infection Genetics and Evolution 72 (2019): 44-58. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6598853/.
- Phelan, Jody; O’Sullivan, Denise; Machado, Diana; Ramos, Jorge; Oppong, yaa; Campino, Susana; O’Grady, Justin; et al. “Integrating informatics tools and portable sequencing technology for rapid detection of resistance to anti-tuberculous drugs”. Genome Medicine 11 41 (2019): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6591855/.
- Perdigão, João; Silva, Carla; Diniz, Jaciara; Pereira, Catarina; Machado, Diana; Ramos, Jorge; Silva, Hugo; et al. “CPLP-TB: a new tuberculosis transnational surveillance tool for the lusophone community”. Anais do Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical (2019): 87-90. https://anaisihmt.com/index.php/ihmt/article/view/278/230.
- Phelan, J.; O’Sullivan, D.M.; Machado, D.; Ramos, J.; Whale, A.S.; O’Grady, J.; Dheda, K.; et al. “The variability and reproducibility of whole genome sequencing technology for detecting resistance to anti-tuberculous drugs”. Genome Medicine 8 1 (2016): http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-85006757655&partnerID=MN8TOARS.
- Rabna, P.; Ramos, J.; Ponce, G.; Sanca, L.; Mané, M.; Armada, A.; Machado, D.; et al. “Direct detection by the xpert MTB/RIF assay and characterization of multi and poly drug- resistant tuberculosis in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa”. PLoS ONE 10 5 (2015): http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-84958198245&partnerID=MN8TOARS. 10.1371/journal.pone.0127536