Ciara O’ Sullivan received a BSc in Analytical Chemistry from Dublin City University in 1992, a PhD in Biotechnology from Cranfield University in 1996 and then went on to lead the sensors group at University College Cork from 1996-99. She then took up a Marie Curie Fellowship at the Universitat Rovira i Virgili (1999-2001) and was then awarded a Ramón y Cajal Fellowship which she pursued for 1 year prior to taking up her current position as ICREA Research Professor and establishing the Nanobiotechnology and Bioanalysis Group at the Universitat Rovira i Virgili.
She is group leader of the GENCAT funded Consolidated Group INTERFIBIO. Her group details can be found at www.interfibio.com.
Her research interests lie in the development of electrochemical and optical biosensors exploiting advances in tailored biocomponents. Presently, her work focuses on reducing to practise cost-effective molecular diagnostics for screening and monitoring of disease, as well as on the development of aptamers for application in optical and electrochemical molecular aptamer beacons. The approaches for molecular diagnostics being developed include parallelised real-time electrochemical next generation sequencing, electrochemical array based primer extension and elongation for multiplexed SNP detection, multiplexed electrochemical miRNA detection and quantitative paper diagnostics as companion tools for the future paradigm of pharmacogenomics and personalised medicine.
Key words: Biosensors, next generation molecular tools, aptamers, paper diagnostics, clinical diagnostics
- Ortiz M.; Jauset-Rubio M., Kodr D., Simonova A., Hocek M.; O’Sullivan C.K., Solid-phase recombinase polymerase amplification using ferrocene-labelled dNTPs for electrochemical detection of single nucleotide polymorphisms, (2022) Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 198, 113825
- Kodr D., Yenice C., Simonova A., Pavlović Saftić D., Pohl R., Sýkorová V., Ortiz M., Havran L., Fojta M., Lesnikowski Z., O’Sullivan C.K., Hocek M., Carborane- or Metallacarborane-Linked Nucleotides for Redox Labeling. Orthogonal Multipotential Coding of all Four DNA Bases for Electrochemical Analysis and Sequencing, (2021), Journal of the American Chemical Society, 143, 7124-7134
- Ortiz M., Jauset-Rubio M., Skouridou V., Machado D., Viveiros M., G. Clark T., Simonova A., Kodr D., Hocek M., O’Sullivan C.K., Electrochemical Detection of Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism Associated with Rifampicin Resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis Using Solid-Phase Primer Elongation with Ferrocene-Linked Redox- Labeled Nucleotides, (2021), ACS Sensors, 2021, 6, 12, 4398–4407
- Jauset-Rubio, M., Ortiz, M., O’Sullivan, C.K., Solid-Phase Primer Elongation Using Biotinylated dNTPs for the Detection of a Single Nucleotide Polymorphism from a Fingerprick Blood Sample, (2021), Analytical Chemistry, 93 (44), 14578-14585
- Shkembi, X., Skouridou, V., Svobodova, M., Leonardo L., Bashammakh A., Alyoubi A., Campàs, M., O′Sullivan, C.K., Hybrid Antibody-Aptamer Assay for Detection of Tetrodotoxin in Pufferfish, (2021), Analytical Chemistry, 93 (44), 14810-14819