Tiago Correia holds a PhD in Sociology by University Institute of Lisbon (2011) – specialization in health and medicine –, and two Post-Doctorate in Public Health by University of Montreal (2012) and McGill University (2013).
In 2019 he joined NOVA-Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine as an Associate Professor of International Health at International Public Health and Biostatistics Unit, and as an integrated researcher of PPS group (Population health, policies and services) at Global Health and Tropical Medicine research centre.
Currently, he acts as the representative member of IHMT at the scientific council of NOVA4theGlobe, at the International Association of National Public Health Institutes (IANPHI), and at the Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region (ASPHER).
He assumes the co-coordination of courses in public health (NOVA and Guinea Bissau) and in the first MBA in health management in Angola. He is member of the scientific committee of the PhD program in International Health at IHMT.
His current research interests include the theoretical bases of global health, vaccine hesitancy, management of epidemics, health policies, health workforce, and health promotion.
He is the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Health Planning and Management (published by Wiley) and the senior analyst for health at SIC (leading Portuguese TV channel).
- Vaccine hesitancy
- Health workforce training in vaccination and vaccine hesitancy
- Health workforce training in health management and leadership
- Technological innovations for bed management and inter-professional coordination in hospitals
- Health workforce (availability, accessibility, acceptability, and quality)
- Policy design and implementation
- The mapping of narrative medicine and medical humanities
- Correia T, Daniel-Ribeiro CT, Ferrinho P (2021). Calling for a planetary and one health vision for global health. One health, 13, 100342
- Kuhlmann E, Dussault G, Correia T (eds) (2021). Global health and health workforce development: education, management and policy beyond the COVID-19 crisis. The International Journal of Health Planning and Management, 36 (S1), special issue.
- Correia T (2019). Reducing Healthcare Costs in Portugal: Outcomes and Implications for Public and Private Medicine. In Collyer F, Willis K (Ed.). Navigating Private and Public Healthcare. Singapore: Springer Singapore: 181-199 (ISBN: 978-981-32-9207-9).
- Kuhlmann E, Batenburg R, Wismar M, Dussault G, Maier C, Glinos I, Azzopardi-Muscat N, Bond C, Burau V, Correia T, Groenewegen P, Hansen J, Hunter D, Khan U, Kluge H, Kroezen M, Leone C, Santric-Milicevic M, Sermeus W, Ungureanu M (2018). A call for action to establish a research agenda for building a future health workforce in Europe. Health Research Policy and Systems, 16:52.
- Correia T (2017). Revisiting medicalization: a critique of the assumptions of what counts as medical knowledge. Frontiers in Sociology, 2:14.