Graduated in Clinical Analysis and Public Health (2000) and post graduated in Medical Parasitology. Master’s in medical Parasitology (2004) and doctorate in Biomedical Sciences, specializing in Parasitology (2013), by Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine/New University of Lisbon. Master thesis in: “Co-infection between Schistosoma mansoni/Plasmodium chabaudi chabaudi AS in C57Bl/6 mice – Immunological, haematological and parasitological studies” and PhD thesis in “Lymnaea truncatula in Portugal: contribution for the study of bioecology and genetic variation.” Since 2004 developing his work on Medical Helminthology and Malacology (IHMT/UNL), focusing his activities on diagnosis of several helminthic diseases, speciallly on zoonotic diseases, as well as on the study of freshwater snails and their role as intermediate hosts of several helminth parasites, namely Fasciola hepatica and Schistosoma mansoni, in wich is responsible for it’s life cycle maintenance in rodent model in lab. In addition to diagnostic and research activities, integrates the teaching staff in the Master’s courses in Medical Parasitology, BiomedicalSciences and Medical Microbiology, as well as in the Doctoral program in Biomedical Sciences.
- Development of new tools on diagnosis of helminthic diseases
- Study of new compounds with anti-helminthic activity
- António Pinto-Almeida, Tiago M. F. Mendes, Pedro Ferreira, Ana B. Abecasis, Silvana Belo, Fernanda F. Anibal, Silmara M. Allegretti, Carlos A. Galinaro, Emanuel Carrilho and Ana Afonso, 2021. A Comparative Proteomic Analysis of Praziquantel-Susceptible and Praziquantel-Resistant Schistosoma mansoni Reveals Distinct Response Between Male and Female Animals
- Ana Margarida Alho , Pedro Manuel Ferreira, Isabel Clemente, Maria Amélia Afonso Grácio, Silvana Belo, 2021. Human Toxocariasis in Portugal-An Overview of a Neglected Zoonosis over the Last Decade (2010-2020) Infect Dis Rep 4;13(4):938-948. doi: 10.3390/idr13040086
- Hanscheid T, Vieira S, Ferreira P, Carvalho T, Belo S, Grobusch MP, 2020. The fluorescent acid-fast stain, auramine-O, stains schistosome eggs and may be an aid for detection. An old technique with a useful future? Travel Med Infect Dis. 2020 May-Jun; 35: 101569. doi: 10.1016/j.tmaid.2020.101569. Epub 2020 Jan 30. PMID: 32006658.doi:10.1371/journal. Pone.0167135
- Rosimeire Nunes de Oliveira, Pedro Manuel Ferreira, Manuela Calado, Silvana Belo, Ana Afonso,Vera Lúcia Garcia Adriana Silva Santos Oliveira, Veronica de Lourdes Sierpe Jeraldo, Karina Rodrigues dos Santos and Silmara Marques Allegretti, 2018. Sesquiterpenes effects on DNA of Schistosoma mansoni after in vivo treatment. Gene Reports 11: 205-212
- Baptista-Fernandes T, Rodrigues M, Castro I, Paixão P, Pinto-Marques P, Roque L, Belo S, Ferreira PM, Mansinho K, Toscano C., 2017. Human gastric hyperinfection by Anisakis simplex: A severe and unusual presentation and a brief review. Int J Infect Dis. 2017 Nov;64:38-41. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2017.08.012. Epub 2017 Sep 4. PMID: 28882665.