Dr. Marcelo U. Ferreira is a physician/scientist with over 30 years of experience in biomedical research. He obtained his BA (History), MD and PhD (Parasitology) degrees from the University of São Paulo, Brazil, with further research training in Japan (Nagoya University) and USA (Harvard University). Dr. Ferreira is currently a senior investigator at the Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine of the Nova University of Lisbon, Portugal, and serves on the editorial board of several specialized journals in the areas of Tropical Medicine.
Dr. Ferreira’s research addresses the epidemiology and clinical aspects of malaria and other tropical and neglected infectious diseases, with the use of a wide range of genetic/genomic, immunological, and quantitative approaches.
- Ferreira MU, Corder RM, Johansen IC, Kattenberg JH, Moreno M, Rosas-Aguirre A, Ladeia-Andrade S, Conn JE, Llanos-Cuentas A, Gamboa D, Rosanas-Urgell A, Vinetz JM. Relative contribution of low-density and asymptomatic infections to Plasmodium vivax transmission in the Amazon: pooled analysis of individual participant data from population-based cross-sectional surveys. Lancet Reg Health Am 2022;9:100169.
- Nicolete VC, Rodrigues PT, Johansen IC, Corder RM, Tonini J, Cardoso MA, de Jesus JG, Claro IM, Faria NR, Sabino EC, Castro MC, Ferreira MU. Interacting Epidemics in Amazonian Brazil: Prior Dengue Infection Associated With Increased Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Risk in a Population-Based Cohort Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2021;73:2045-2054.
- de Oliveira TC, Rodrigues PT, Early AM, Duarte AMRC, Buery JC, Bueno MG, Catão-Dias JL, Cerutti C, Rona LDP, Neafsey DE, Ferreira MU. Plasmodium simium: Population Genomics Reveals the Origin of a Reverse Zoonosis. J Infect Dis. 2021;224:1950-1961
- Nicolete VC, Frischmann S, Barbosa S, King CL, Ferreira MU. 2016. Naturally acquired binding-inhibitory antibodies to Plasmodium vivax Duffy Binding Protein and clinical immunity to malaria in rural Amazonians. J Infect Dis. 214:1539-1546.
- Barbosa S, Gozze AB, Lima NF, Batista CL, Bastos MS, Nicolete VC, Fontoura PS, Gonçalves RM, Viana SA, Menezes MJ, Scopel KK, Cavasini CE, Malafronte RS, da Silva-Nunes M, Vinetz JM, Castro MC, Ferreira MU. 2014. Epidemiology of disappearing Plasmodium vivax malaria: a case study in rural Amazonia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 8:e3109.