Luís Velez Lapão is a Senior Researcher and Professor, with Habilitation, of International Public Health at Global Health and Tropical Medicine, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical – Universidade Nova de Lisboa. He is also a member of the General Council of the Lisbon Nursing School, and Associated Editor of BMC Medical Informatics and Decision-Making.
PhD in Systems Engineering (Smart Healthcare) from the Technical University of Lisbon, Master in Physics and graduated in Physics Engineering from Technical University of Lisbon. He was Visiting Professor of Healthcare Management at Karolinska Institutet (Medical Management Center) in 2014 and at Dubai University in 2009. He was Visiting Professor of Project Management in Medical Informatics at University of Porto from 2007 to 2009. He is an active member of the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Health Workforce Policy and Planning since 2011. He was Director of the PACES program (National Institute of Administration/ Ministry of Health) responsible for the training in Management and Leadership for Managers of Primary Health Care in Portugal (2008-10). Coordinated several strategic and reorganization projects in various hospitals and health-centers. He is auditor of the European Commission for the Healthcare Information Systems since 2005.
He works in the areas of innovation and information systems in healthcare, with emphasis in the areas of Capacity Strengthening, Implementation Science, change management, project management, and health information systems (e.g. medicine prescription decision-making system) and telemedicine (e.g. the telemedicine system in Cape Verde and Angola, and the European Project Momentum).
He is currently co-coordinating the Work-package of Health Information Training of the InfAct (European Joint Action on Health Information: 2018-20) and coordinating the Elemental_Diabetes, project on digital control and management of diabetes (2017-18).
He was the Principal Investigator in the following research projects: “OSYRISH-FCT” using indoor location and gamification to reduce healthcare-acquired infections, focusing on collaborative work between professionals and organization of work in Portugal and Cape Verde (2013-2015; 65.000€); EEA Grants HAITool: Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Intervention including the development of an information system. Collaboration with University of the Northern Norway and University Hospital of Geneva. (2015-2016; 215 000 €); and TECH-4 (Capacity building program in Portuguese): Telemedicine services in Angola (supporting the healthcare municipalization), with University Hospital Geneva, and the Ministry of Health of Angola. 2015 (World Bank; 20.000€). And Team Member. Contratualization in Primary Care (INSA-AGO-Ministry of Health). (2014-2016; 40000€).
He is author and co-author of over 100 peer reviewed papers and seven books/Chapters.
- Lapão, LV, Mira da Silva, M and Gregório, J. (2017) Implementing an online pharmaceutical service using design science research. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 17, 1: 31.
- Marques, R… Lapão LV (2017) How Can Information Systems Provide Support to Nurses’ Hand Hygiene Performance? Using Gamification and Indoor Location to Improve Hand Hygiene Awareness and Reduce Hospital Infections. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision-Making, 17 (1), 15
- Gregório, J., Cavaco, A., & Lapão, L. V. (2014). A scenario-planning approach to human resources for health: the case of community pharmacists in Portugal. Human resources for health, 12(1), 58.
- MS Paulo, T Loney, LV Lapão (2017) The primary health care in the emirate of Abu Dhabi: are they aligned with the chronic care model elements? BMC health services research 17 (1), 725
- Simões AS, Couto I, Toscano C, Gonçalves E, Póvoa P, Viveiros M & Lapão LV. (2016) Prevention and control of antimicrobial resistant healthcare associated infections: the Microbiology Laboratory rocks!. Frontiers in Microbiology, 7, 855.(IF