Registered nurse, Master in Public Health, PhD in International Health. Assistant Professor at the International Public Health and Biostatistics Department at the Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (IHMT) – Universidade Nova de Lisboa where she is responsible for the teaching of epidemiology in all post-graduate courses. Advisor to the Minister of Health, Cabinet of the Minister of Health (2018-2019), consultant for the National Health Council (2017-2018) and for the Directorate General of Health (epidemiology) in Portugal. Coordinator of the Master Program in Public Health and Development, member of the Ethics Council of IHMT. Deputy Director of the IHMT International Public Health and Biostatistics Department between 2012 and 2015. Responsible for research of the WHO Collaborating Center on Health Workforce Policy and Planning between 2011 and 2014. Teaches postgraduate courses at the IHMT and is a guest lecturer at several national and international universities. Supervisor of several PhD and Master students. Collaborates in different national and international projects (in the EU and in Portuguese-speaking African countries).
Has been collaborating with World Health Organization, the World Bank, the International Council of Nurses and the European Observatory on Health Systems. Has work experience in Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Brazil and in several countries in Europe. Associate editor of the International Journal Human Resources for Health and the BMC health Services Research. Consultant in epidemiology for Acta Medica Portuguesa Journal. As authored several books, book chapters and peer–reviewed papers.
Since 2020/05/22 – BCG vaccine to enhance non-specific protection of healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. A multicenterrandomised controlled trial – Co-PI – EDCTP – RIA2020EF-3049.
Since 2020/04/20 – Response to COVID-19 epidemics in a contexto of social inequalities in Health: cross sectional study in native and migrant population in Amadora – research – Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Saúde Global e MedicinaTropical, Portugal – Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia.
Since 2020/01 – Effects of two adhesive medical tapes to correct the bladder catheter of delay: randomized clinical trial – researcher – Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso do Sul, Brasil; Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil; Universidade Federal do Piauí, Brasil; Faculdade de Medicina de São José do Rio Preto, Brasil; Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, Brasil.
Since 2019 – Addressing Gaps in Men’s Health Literacy and Health Seeking in Mozambique: A Case for Differentiated Care for HIV and CVD – Researcher – Medical ResearchCouncil, UK
- Miranda Ferrão R, Fronteira I, Sá Machado R, Duarte E. (2020). Surveillance of malaria in mainland Portugal in 2016 after the introduction of an electronic system: is it enough? Eur J Public Health. 30(1):142–3.
- Lopes de Sousa ÁF, Carvalho HEF de, Oliveira LB de, Schneider G, Camargo ELS, Watanabe E, et al. (2020). Effects of COVID-19 Infection during Pregnancy and Neonatal Prognosis: What Is the Evidence? Int J Environ Res Public Health. 17(11).
- Lisboa M, Fronteira I, Mason PH, Martins M do RO. (2020). Using hospital auxiliary worker and 24-h TB services as potential tools to overcome in-hospital TB delays: a quasi-experimental study. Hum Resour Health. 18(1):28.
- Lisboa M, Fronteira I, Mason PH, Martins M do RO. (2020). National TB program shortages as potential factor for poor-quality TB care cascade: Healthcare workers’ perspective from Beira, Mozambique. PLoS ONE. 15(2):e0228927.
- Jesus TS, Landry MD, Hoenig H, Dussault G, Koh GC, Fronteira I. (2020). Is Physical Rehabilitation Need Associated With the Rehabilitation Workforce Supply? An Ecological Study Across 35 High-Income Countries. Int J Health Policy Manag. 17th August 2020.