Fátima Nogueira (https://www.cienciavitae.pt/7B1B-1ABB-1A16; ORCID iD 0000-0003-0313-0778) is Assistant Researcher at the Medical Parasitology Unit at IHMT-NOVA. Graduated in Microbial Biology and Genetics from the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon, in 1996, she obtained a Master’s degree in Medical Parasitology at IHMT-NOVA in 2001 and a PhD in Biomedical Sciences, specialty of Medical Parasitology at the same University in 2007.
The main research interests are the research mechanisms and therapeutic targets with respect to anti-malarial drugs; the development of molecular tools for monitoring anti-malarial-resistant malaria parasites and the search for synthetic and natural compounds as potential new anti-malarials.
She is currently coordinator at IHMT-NOVA of Tasks for the projects: EuroNanoMed3-NANOpheles ref. 171129_ERA-Net_NANOpheles; PTDC/BTM-SAL/29786/2017; PTDC/MEDQUI/30021/2017; CIRCNA/BRB/0281/2019; and member of the PTDC/BIA-CEL/28456/2017 team.
Author of 64 articles in international peer-reviewed journals in the areas of malaria pathology and anti-malarial resistance.
She has 2 patents:
- US20180186713 – Anti-malarial agent, methods and uses thereof;
- PAT356:P797.5US – WO2021/033159A1-PYRAZINO [1,2-B]QUINAZOLINE-3,6-DIONES, derivatives, their production and uses thereof.
Regularly maintains collaboration, training and field research activities in Africa with CPLP countries (Cape Verde, Angola and Mozambique), Cameroon and Senegal.
Member of the scientific committee of the PhD program in Tropical Diseases and Global Health at IHMT-NOVA.
She coordinates four curricular units (two in PhD and two in MSc) and teaches in two PhD programs and four Masters programs at IHMT-NOVA.
Supervisor of nine doctoral students (four completed and five in progress) and 21 master’s students (17 completed, four in progress).
CV at https://www.cienciavitae.pt/7B1B-1ABB-1A16; se also Ciência ID 7B1B-1ABB-1A16
- Ramos S, Ademolue TW, Jentho E, Wu Q, Guerra J, Martins R, Pires G, Weis S, Carlos AR, Mahú I, Seixas E, Duarte D, Rajas F, Cardoso S, Sousa AGG, Lilue J, Paixão T, Mithieux G, Nogueira F, Soares MP. A hypometabolic defense strategy against malaria. Cell Metab. 2022 Jul 7:S1550-4131(22)00231-5. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2022.06.011. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35841892.
- Long S, Duarte D, Carvalho C, Oliveira R, Santarém N, Palmeira A, Resende DISP, Silva AMS, Moreira R, Kijjoa A, Cordeiro da Silva A, Nogueira F, Sousa E, Pinto MMM. Indole-Containing Pyrazino[2,1-b]quinazoline-3,6-diones Active against Plasmodium and Trypanosomatids. ACS Med Chem Lett. 2022 Jan 11;13(2):225-235. doi: 10.1021/acsmedchemlett.1c00589. PMID: 35178179; PMCID: PMC8842117.
- Serrano D, Santos-Reis A, Silva C, Dias A, Dias B, Toscano C, Conceição C, Baptista-Fernandes T, Nogueira F. Imported Malaria in Portugal: Prevalence of Polymorphisms in the Anti-Malarial Drug Resistance Genes pfmdr1 and pfk13. Microorganisms. 2021 Sep 28;9(10):2045. doi: 10.3390/microorganisms9102045. PMID: 34683365; PMCID: PMC8538333.
- Da Veiga Leal S, Ward D, Campino S, Benavente ED, Ibrahim A, Claret T, Isaías V, Monteiro D, Clark TG, Gonçalves L, Valdez T, da Luz Lima Mendonça M, Silveira H, Nogueira F. Drug resistance profile and clonality of Plasmodium falciparum parasites in Cape Verde: the 2017 malaria outbreak. Malar J. 2021 Mar 31;20(1):172. doi: 10.1186/s12936-021-03708-z. PMID: 33789667; PMCID: PMC8011132.
- Ahouidi A, Oliveira R, Lobo L, Diedhiou C, Mboup S, Nogueira F. Prevalence of pfk13 and pfmdr1 polymorphisms in Bounkiling, Southern Senegal. PLoS One. 2021 Mar 26;16(3):e0249357. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0249357. PMID: 33770151; PMCID: PMC7996989.