Cláudia Conceição is currently Professor at the Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, elected member of the IHMT’s Council and Scientific council; Member of the IHMT’s Ethics Council since 2015 and president since 2020. She has a PhD on International Health, Health policies and development with a thesis on “First referral hospitals in Mozambique” (IHMT-NOVA, 2011).
She cofounded and was member of the fist board of the Portuguese Society of Travel Medicine (2015-2017).
She was Professor of Community Health at School of Health Sciences, University of Minho, 2011-2013, External Examiner of the Master in Public health of the University of Warwick, Medical Scholl, UK, 2011/12 and 2012/13 and lecture in the Group of Disciplines of Health Policy and Administration, National School of Public Health, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, 2004 -2010.
She worked as World Health Organization temporary adviser at the GAVI – Health Systems Strengthening pre-review team (WHO, Geneva, March 2007; October 2007; April 2008; September 2008; May 2009, April 2012, October 2012, February 2013). She was member of the team, from the Institute of Tropical Medicine, that was Mozambique Ministry of Health adviser for the Human Resources Development Plan 2008-2015 (August 2007-June 2008).
She was researcher at Associação para o Desenvolvimento e Cooperação Garcia de Orta (1998 -2012) and at the Portuguese Observatory on Health Systems (2001-2006), and collaborated in the GP’s Sentinel Network at the Ministry of Health (1998-2001)
Cláudia Conceição is a medical doctor, specialist on Internal Medicine and worked in several public hospitals (1990-1998). She was volunteer of “Assistência Médica Internacional”, a Portuguese NGO, in a hospital of Lugadjole, Guinea Bissau.
Cláudia Conceição has participated in the coordination of 4 European projects funded by the European Commission; She was a researcher in 2 more projects funded by the European Commission and another one by WHO/Geneva; She was a researcher in other nationally funded projects (FCT, FCGulbenkian)
She has published 28 articles in international peer-reviewed journals and 11 in national peer-reviewed journals.
Teaching and research areas: Travel medicine, tropical medicine, international health
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7004-0268; Researcher ID: J-7377-2013; Scopus Author ID: 6602549536
Areas of interest: Travel Medicine, Tropical Medicine, Global health
- Conceição, C., Medeiros, M., Pereira, N., Gonçalves, L., Antunes, A., Teodósio, R., & Pereira, F. (2021). Health problems during and after travel: A prospective observational study in a travel clinic in Portugal. Acta medica portuguesa, 34(13), 1- 10. https://doi.org/10.20344/AMP.14098
- Berriatua, E., Maia, C., Conceição, C., Özbel, Y., Töz, S., Baneth, G., Pérez-Cutillas, P., Ortuño, M., Muñoz, C., Jumakanova, Z., Pereira, A., Rocha, R., Monge-Maillo, B., Gasimov, E., Van der Stede, Y., Torres, G., & Gossner, C. M. (2021). Leishmaniases in the European Union and Neighboring Countries. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 27(6), 1723- 1727. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2706.210239
- Serrano, D., Santos-Reis, A., Silva, C., Dias, A., Dias, B., Toscano, C., Conceição, C., Baptista-Fernandes, T., & Nogueira, F. (2021). Imported malaria in Portugal: Prevalence of polymorphisms in the anti-malarial drug resistance genes pfmdr1 and pfk13. Microorganisms, 9(10), 1-12. . https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms9102045
- Sá Machado, R.; Pereira F; Antunes, D; Pereira Igreja, R; Conceição, C. Serviços de saúde para viajantes. Anais do Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical 2019, 18:146-149. https://doi.org/10.25761/anaisihmt.351
- Ribeiro JS, Conceição C, Pereira J, Leone C, Mendonça P, Temido M, Vieira CP, Dussalt G. Health professionals moving to… and from Portugal. Health Policy 2014 Feb;114(2-3):97-108 . DOI: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2013.05.009.