Cláudia Conceição is currently Professor at the Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, elected member of the IHMT’s Council and member of the IHMT’s Ethics Council (former president 2015-17). She has a PhD on International Health, Health policies and development with a thesis on “First referral hospitals in Mozambique” (IHMT-NOVA, 2011).
She cofounded and was member of the fist board of the Portuguese Society of Travel Medicine (2015-2017).
She was Professor of Community Health at School of Health Sciences, University of Minho, 2011-2013, External Examiner of the Master in Public health of the University of Warwick, Medical Scholl, UK, 2011/12 and 2012/13 and lecture in the Group of Disciplines of Health Policy and Administration, National School of Public Health, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, 2004-2010.
She worked as World Health Organization temporary adviser at the GAVI – Health Systems Strengthening pre-review team (WHO, Geneva, March 2007; October 2007; April 2008; September 2008; May 2009, April 2012, October 2012, February 2013). She was member of the team, from the Institute of Tropical Medicine, that was Mozambique Ministry of Health adviser for the Human Resources Development Plan 2008-2015 (August 2007-June 2008).
She was researcher at Associação para o Desenvolvimento e Cooperação Garcia de Orta (1998 -2012) and at the Portuguese Observatory on Health Systems (2001-2006), and collaborated in the GP’s Sentinel Network at the Ministry of Health (1998-2001)
Cláudia Conceição is a medical doctor, specialist on Internal Medicine and worked in several public hospitals (1990-1998). She was volunteer of “Assistência Médica Internacional”, a Portuguese NGO, in a hospital of Lugadjole, Guinea Bissau.
Cláudia Conceição coordinated 4 projects financed by the European Commission, participated in 2 workpages financed by the European Commission and in 1 project financed by OMS/Genebra. She was also a researcher in several projects financed by national agencies (FCT, FCGulbenKIan).
Author/co-author of 22 peer reviewed publications at international level and 11 at national level.
Areas of interest: Travel Medicine, Tropical Medicine, Global health
- Parreira et al. Angola’s 2013 dengue outbreak at a distance: clinical presentation, laboratory findings and molecular analysis from cases diagnosed in four Portuguese Institutions. Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, 2014 Sep 12;8(9):1210-5.
- Riberio JS et al. Health professionals moving to… and from Portugal. Health Policy 2014 Feb;114(2-3):97-108 doi: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2013.05.009.
- Conceição et al. Programmes and calls for public health research in European countries The European Journal of Public Health 2013 23: 30-34.
- Conceição et al. Public health research systems in the European Union. Health Research Policy and Systems 2011, 9:38.
- Conceição et al. National support to public health research: a survey of European ministries.BMC Public Health 2009, 9:203.