- +351 213 652 600
- Download CV
PhD in Molecular Medicine. 2018. Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany.
MSc in Biomedical Sciences – Molecular Biology and International Tropical Medicine. 2013. Leishmaniasis group, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical – Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal.
BSc in Biochemistry. 2011. Faculty of Sciences and Technologies – New University of Lisbon, Portugal.
BSc in Applied Chemistry – Biotechnology. 2010. FCT-UNL/Leishmaniasis group, IHMT-UNL, Portugal.
2020- Post-doctoral research associate, – Wellcome Centre for Integrative Parasitology, Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, College of Medical Veterinary & Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
2018-20 Post-doctoral researcher, Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
2018 Post-doctoral researcher and co-supervisor of undergraduate student trainees, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
2011-2014 Research fellow, Leishmaniasis group, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical – Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
For the last 12 years, while working in different cities within Portugal, Germany, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, I have developed a toolkit focused on Biochemistry, Glycobiology, Gene Editing, Cell and Molecular Biology, applied to the study of host-protozoan parasite interactions, namely Toxoplasma gondii and Leishmania sp.
Currently I am a Post-doctoral Research Associate at the WCIP, University of Glasgow, where, using bar-seq strategies as well as individual mutant characterisation, I am interrogating how Leishmania parasites use transporter proteins to survive as promastigotes in vitro and in vivo, as well as amastigotes in vitro and in vivo. I am also interested in mechanisms of drug resistance and am utilising a transportome knock-out library to identify transporters involved in this important phenomenon.
- Ricce Espada, J. C. Quilles Jr, A. Albuquerque-Wendt, M. C. Cruz, T. Beneke, L. Lorenzon, E. Gluenz, A. K. Cruz, S. R. B. Uliana. Effective genome editing in Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis stably expressing Cas9/T7. Frontiers in cellular and infection microbiology, 2021, 10;11:772311. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2021.772311.
- Ricce Espada, A. Albuquerque-Wendt, V. Hornillos, E. Gluenz, A.C. Coelho, S. Uliana. Ros3 (Lem3p/CDC50) gene dosage is implicated in miltefosine susceptibility in Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis clinical isolates and in Leishmania (Leishmania) major. ACS Infectious Diseases, 2021, 7(4):849-858. doi: 10.1021/acsinfecdis.0c00857.
- Albuquerque-Wendt, D. Jacot, N. Pacheco, C. Seegers, P. Zarnovican, D. Soldati-Favre, H. Bakker, F. H. Routier. C-Mannosylation of Toxoplasma gondii proteins promotes attachment to host cells and parasite virulence. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2020, 295(4): 1066-1076. Doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA119.010590.
- Albuquerque-Wendt, H. J. Hütte, F. F. R. F. Buettner, H. Routier, H. Bakker. Membrane Topological Model of Glycosyltransferases of the GT-C Superfamily. International journal of molecular sciences, 2019, 20(19): E4842. Doi: 10.3390/ijms20194842.
- G. Bandini*, A. Albuquerque-Wendt*, J. Hegermann, J. Samuelson, F. H. Routier. Protein O- and C-glycosylation pathways in Plasmodium falciparum and Toxoplasma gondii. Parasitology, 2019, 146(14): 1755-1766. Doi: 10.1017/S0031182019000040. (*co-first).