Ana Tavares is a Researcher at Global Health and Tropical Medicine, Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (GHTM/IHMT NOVA).
She holds a PhD in Biology, specialization in Molecular Genetics, from Institute of Chemical and Biological Technology (ITQB NOVA) (2014), a BSc in Medical Microbiology, from NOVA (2006) and Degree in Biology, from University of Aveiro (UA) (2000).
She is author/co-author of international peer-reviewed publications. She has lectured in curricular units of the MSc programs in Medical Microbiology (ITQB NOVA) and MSc/PhD Biomedical Sciences (IHMT NOVA) and co-supervised PhD and MSc students.
Since 2016, she is the Technical Coordinator of the GHTM/IHMT NOVA biobank – Biotropical Resources (https://www.ihmt.unl.pt/investigacao/biobanco/).
Her main research interests during the last decade have contributed to the characterization of a pathogen with high impact on human health, resulting in an in-depth knowledge of epidemiology, virulence and transmission dynamics of the MRSA in Portugal. She contributed to the optimization of rapid diagnostic tests and in biological assays for the development of biocompatible and resorbable material with antimicrobial properties.
In this journey, she gained new scientific interests in the emerging biobanks research infrastructures acquiring extensive experience in the establishment and management since its inception. As a multi-skilled sample and data manager biobank Coordinator, she has been collaborating, giving support at the biological and services provider level, with academic multidisciplinary research teams and biotechnology companies that are focused on the development and manufacture of point-of-care tests.
She is very active in communication, outreach and dissemination activities in her daily research work.
Ciencia ID: 3B1A-033C-1BFD
ORCID iD 0000-0002-2221-4785
Scopus Author ID: 57194678863
- Alves M, O Bouchami, A Tavares, L Córdoba, CF Santos, M Miragaia, MF Montemor. (2017). New insights into antibiofilm mechanism of a nano-sized ZnO coating against the pathogenic methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 9(34):28157-28167.
- Tavares A, JB Nielsen, K Boye, S Rohde, AC Paulo, H Westh, K Schonning, H de Lencastre, M Miragaia. (2014). Insights into alpha-hemolysin (Hla) evolution and expression among Staphylococcus aureus clones with hospital and community origin. PLoS One 9(7):e98634.
- Tavares A, NA Faria, H de Lencastre, M Miragaia. (2013). Population structure of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) in Portugal over a 19-year period (1992-2011). Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 33(3):423-32.
- Tavares A, M Miragaia, J Rolo, C Coelho, H de Lencastre, CA-MRSA/MSSA working group. (2013). High prevalence of hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) in the community in Portugal: evidence for the blurring of community hospital boundaries. Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 32(10):1269-83.
- Harris S, EJ Feil, MTG Holden, MA Quail, EK Nickerson, N Chantratita, S Gardete, A Tavares, N Day, J Lindsay, J Edgeworth, H de Lencastre, J Parkhill, SJ Peacock, SD Bentley. (2009). Evolution of MRSA during hospital transmission and intercontinental spread. Science. 327:469-74.