My main research interests are molecular epidemiology and virulence of staphylococci resistant to antibiotics, prevention and control of hospital infection and conservation of biological samples, namely in the area of biobank management.
Currently, I develop my Post-Doctoral project that aim to implement the GHTM/IHMT biobank – BioTropical Resources.
The BioTropical Resources is prepared to receive and storage human and non-human biological samples, with high impact on Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine.
The biobank assures the fulfillment of all ethical issues working together with the IHMT Ethics Council, complies with the Nagoya Protocol, and follows the international Best Practice Guidelines on Management of Biobanks and Biological Resource Centers.
Team: Ana Paula Arez (Coordinator); Ana Tavares (Technical Coordinator)
- Miragaia, M., J.C. Thomas, I. E. Tolo, L. Challagundla, E. A. Sansevere, X. Didelot, A. Tavares, J. Y. Park, K. S. Seo, R. Sebra, C. R. Schaeffer, P. D. Fey, S. Boundy, G. Archer, B. M. Gray, H. de Lencastre, D. A. Robinson. Cryptic Population Structure and Genomic Variation in the Globally Disseminated ST2 Hospital Clone of Staphylococcus epidermidis. Genome Biology and Evolution. Submitted.
- Tavares, A., M. Miragaia, J. Rolo, C.Coelho, H. de Lencastre and CA-MRSA/MSSA working group. 2013. High prevalence of hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) in the community in Portugal: evidence for the blurring of community hospital boundaries. Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 32(10):1269-83.
- Tavares, A., N. A. Faria, H. de Lencastre and M. Miragaia. 2013. Population structure of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) in Portugal over a 19-year period (1992-2011). Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 33(3):423-32.
- Rolo, J., M. Miragaia, A. Turlej, J. Empel, O. Bouchami, N. A. Faria, A. Tavares, W. Hryniewicz, A. C. Flui, H. de Lencastre and the CONCORD working groug. 2012. High genetic diversity among community-associated Staphylococcus aureus in Europe: results from a multicenter study. PLoS ONE. 7(4): e34768.
- Harris, S., E. J. Feil, M. T.G. Holden, M. A. Quail, E. K. Nickerson, N. Chantratita, S. Gardete, A. Tavares, N. Day, J. Lindsay, J. Edgeworth, H. de Lencastre, J. Parkhill, S. J. Peacock, and S. D. Bentley. 2009. Evolution of MRSA during hospital transmission and intercontinental spread. Science. 327:469-74.