Ana Tavares is a Researcher at Global Health and Tropical Medicine, Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (GHTM/IHMT NOVA). She holds a PhD in Biology, specialization in Molecular Genetics, from Institute of Chemical and Biological Technology (ITQB NOVA) (2014), a BSc in Medical Microbiology, from NOVA (2006) and Degree in Biology, from University of Aveiro (UA) (2000).
She is author/co-author of international peer-reviewed publications. She has lectured in curricular units of the MSc programs in Medical Microbiology (NOVA) and MSc/PhD Biomedical Sciences (IHMT NOVA) and co-supervised PhD and MSc students.
Since 2016, she is the Technical Coordinator of the GHTM/IHMT NOVA biobank – Biotropical Resources (https://www.ihmt.unl.pt/investigacao/biobanco/).
Her main research interests has been molecular epidemiology and virulence of staphylococci resistant to antibiotics, prevention and control of hospital infection and conservation of biological samples, namely in the area of biobank management.
Current research interests:
– Establishment and management of biobanks
– Development of biobank SOPs according to the national and international Best Practices
– Knowledge of the national and international ethical and legal issues (samples of human and non- human origin)
– Strengthening the links to relevant national and international biobank networks
– Familiarity with the Laboratory Information Management System software
– Science communication activities
Ciencia ID: 3B1A-033C-1BFD
Scopus Author ID: 57194678863
- Alves M, O Bouchami, A Tavares, L Córdoba, CF Santos, M Miragaia, MF Montemor. (2017). New insights into antibiofilm mechanism of a nano-sized ZnO coating against the pathogenic methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 9(34):28157-28167.
- Tavares A, JB Nielsen, K Boye, S Rohde, AC Paulo, H Westh, K Schonning, H de Lencastre, M Miragaia. (2014). Insights into alpha-hemolysin (Hla) evolution and expression among Staphylococcus aureus clones with hospital and community origin. PLoS One 9(7):e98634.
- Tavares A, NA Faria, H de Lencastre, M Miragaia. (2013). Population structure of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) in Portugal over a 19-year period (1992-2011). Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 33(3):423-32.
- Tavares A, M Miragaia, J Rolo, C Coelho, H de Lencastre, CA-MRSA/MSSA working group. (2013). High prevalence of hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) in the community in Portugal: evidence for the blurring of community hospital boundaries. Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 32(10):1269-83.
- Harris S, EJ Feil, MTG Holden, MA Quail, EK Nickerson, N Chantratita, S Gardete, A Tavares, N Day, J Lindsay, J Edgeworth, H de Lencastre, J Parkhill, SJ Peacock, SD Bentley. (2009). Evolution of MRSA during hospital transmission and intercontinental spread. Science. 327:469-74.