My current work is focused on the Research Fairness Initiative (RFI), a service developed by the Council on Health Research for Development (COHRED) to enhance fairness and equity in research partnerships.
Drawing upon scholarly work in Science and Technology Studies (STS), I’m interested in exploring the performativity of “responsible research”, especially how the establishment of what counts as “responsible” and “fair” is entangled with administrative and managerial devices, forms of self-assessment and a multitude of ethical standpoints.
I’m also interested in the conflicting sociotechnical imaginaries and ontologies of the Anthropocene and in the proliferation of mindfulness research and practice in the Western world.
- Carvalho, António; Klipp, Kirsty; IJsselmuiden, Carel, Ferrinho, Paulo; Hartz, Zulmira (2017), A Implementação da Iniciativa para a Equidade na Investigação, Anais do Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, 16 (2), 11-20.
- Carvalho, António (2017), Ecologies of the Self in practice – meditation, affect and ecosophy. Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography, 99(2), 207-222. DOI: 10.1080/04353684.2017.1306970
- Pereira, Tiago Santos; Carvalho, António; Fonseca, Paulo (2016), Imaginaries of Nuclear Energy in the Portuguese Parliament: between promise, risk and democracy. Public Understanding of Science, 26(3), 289 – 306. DOI: 10.1177/0963662516662738
- Carvalho, António, (2014) Subjectivity, Ecology and Meditation: Performing Interconnectedness, Subjectivity, 7 (2), 131-150. DOI: 10.1057/sub.2014.3
- Carvalho, António; Nunes, João Arriscado (2013), Technology, Methodology and Intervention: performing nanoethics in Portugal, NanoEthics, 7(2), 149-160. DOI: 10.1007/s11569-013-0175-5