In the last four years, the team has focused on molecular epidemiology of virus causing acute gastroenteritis (AGE) in young children from Angola and S. Tomé e Príncipe, namely rotaviruses (RV), astroviruses, adenoviruses, and noroviruses, before RV vaccine introduction in these countries. These baseline studies revealed the circulation of uncommon viral strains for all the virus analysed and will contribute for assessment of vaccine efficacy, emergency of novel RV strains and shift on AGE aetiological agents.
Still concerning enteric viruses, we have been isolating adenoviruses from faecal samples of non-human primates housed in the Lisbon Zoo. New putative adenovirus species were identified that deserve further characterization considering their potential use as gene therapy and vaccine vectors. In collaboration with the Medical Entomology Group at IHMT, new insect viruses were isolated and characterized. At the moment we intend to evaluate their effect on the replication of pathogenic arboviruses in insect cells and their potential use on arbovirus control.
- Carapeta, S., do Bem, B. , McGuinness, J., Esteves, A., Abecasis, A., Lopes, A., de Matos, A.P., Piedade, J., Almeida, A.P.G., Parreira, R. (2015). Negeviruses found in multiple species of mosquitoes from southern Portugal: isolation, genetic diversity, and replication in insect cell culture. Virology 483:318-28.
- Calado RA, Rocha MR, Parreira R, Piedade J, Venenno T, Esteves A. (2011) Hepatitis C virus subtypes circulating among intravenous drug users in Lisbon, Portugal. J Med Virol. 83, 608-615.
- Parreira, R., Severino, P., Freitas, F., Piedade, J., Almeida, A.P.G., Esteves, A. (2007). Two distinct introductions of the West Nile virus in Portugal disclosed by phylogenetic analysis of genomic sequences. Vector-Borne Zoonotic Dis.7:344-352.
- Esteves, A., Parreira, R., Piedade, J., Venneno, T., Franco, M., Germano de Sousa, J., Patrício, L., Brum, P., Costa, A., Canas-Ferreira, W.F. (2003) Spreading of HIV-1 subtype G and envB/gagG recombinant strains among injecting drug users (IDUs) in Lisbon, Portugal. AIDS Res. Hum. Retroviruses. 19:511-517.
- Esteves, A., Parreira, R., Venneno, T., Franco, M., Piedade J., Germano de Sousa J., Canas-Ferreira, W.F. (2002). Molecular Epidemiology of HIV type 1 infection in Portugal: High prevalence of non-B subtypes. AIDS Res. Hum. Retroviruses. 18:313-325.